Hello Barbara, I have been dressing in plain dress now for five years and still I have good days and bad days. I recently attendid my sons wedding out of state and the mother of the bride would not hear of me wearing plain dress. She brought over many of her dresses for me to try on, her reason was that I should not be the center of attention but the bride. Since that experience I have been questiioning my reasons for dressing plain.  This same woman badgered my husband to get him to say that he would rather me dress sexy rather than in plain dress, my husband ended up saying what she wanted to hear just to get rid of her. I have been really praying that God would give me peace about dressing plain as I am getting very tired of having to defend myself against society. 

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, Wanda!

I hope the bride turns out to be more tolerant than her mother!  Having someone push one around is never pleasant.  I would have told the bride's mother "thank you for your concern, but I prefer to make my own choices about my attire."

Bill Rushby

Ugh, that sucks! One of my friends was forced into a colorful (gasp!) brides maid dress for her sister's wedding. As this woman is a ninja (no, really, I'm completely serious about that), she wears clothing that's good for agility at all times...usually black combat boots, black trousers, and a black tank top. Her family took bets on how long she'd stay in the dress once the photos were over. Answer: less than 5 minutes. She sprinted from the photo area to a room where her clothes were stashed. She was very confused by her stepmother, who bet on an hour. Her dad won.

I wouldn't be as civil as William in telling someone to knock it off about my clothing and/or shoe choices (some people really object to sensible shoes in any situation where non-Plain women wear dresses). I'd only require two words, and one of them would rhyme with "duck."

She sounds threatened by your peace.

A friend of mine, mother of the groom, was asked by the bride's mother to cut her long, lovely hair for the wedding "because women in their 50s shouldn't have long hair." She did not cut it, I am glad to say. I can't imagine having the nerve to say something so self-serving to anyone.

Living plain is not meant to be easy. Nothing we do that answers God's call is meant to be easy. It is meant to be faithful, and easy or hard just don't enter into it. I have to say, with humility, that I have learned more from the times when it was harder to be faithful. The rewards in a deeper relationship with God have been worth it.

I figure it this way: there are days I need the kind of faith that can hold its own during the rough spots. The only way to have that kind of faith, is to remain faithful during the rough spots. Circular reasoning, I guess, but you know what I mean.

Your son's new mother-in-law should have been too polite to notice what you were wearing. Instead, you were treated with shocking rudeness and a total lack of hospitality. What an unfortunate episode. Perhaps when she has had time to reflect on her treatment of you and your husband it will dawn on her that this was rude, and perhaps not. Many people are so focused on the outward appearance and the superficial that they cannot see what they are doing to a person by degrading them on account of such things. What can one do except to smile, love, forgive, and pray for this person?

I wish you peace in your walk with Christ.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service