Logically there's no disconnect between these two. In the course of growing up, we've probably all done some damage.

Emotionally, it's a hard pair of truth to hold together.

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That God loves us is a commonplace; but I think we've all experienced examples (whether or not we'd describe them that way.)

That we've broken the Earth... doesn't this force us to reconsider the value of everything we've thought about the costs and benefits of all the human institutional arrangements people support, depend on, trust for information?

Is there room for doubt? I'd say the main uncertainties would be in whether the damage can be repaired at all, how long we have to prepare, and how extensive a loss of life we're facing.

Two articles re what's currently going on:

http://arctic-news.blogspot.com/2018/03/warning-signs.html

and its likely significance:

https://arctic-news.blogspot.com/p/ten-dangers-of-global-warming.html

I think if we can avoid going all out nuclear as we leave, the earth will manage to mend the damage. But the human species has lived down to my expectations in the past.

Mending should set in after around 10,000 years. (By then enough rock should have been exposed by weathering to absorb the excess CO2.)

Meanwhile we can expect a rough ride.

The weather is lovely here, returning to Summer norms after about a week of rainstorms... The local trees are confused between dropping or regrowing their leaves; and in the back yard there's a tiny new tomato on last year's plant. The East Coast, for now, has been getting the other side of the imbalance; and there's time for that pattern to reverse, freezing whatever I plant now... Then again, if we're locked into these conditions, we can have another year of praying for the county to not burn up. [We didn't used to get fire-hazard conditions in December or January.]

Surviving 50+ years of holding a nuclear gun to everybody's head... including several near-miss incidents where a few stubborn human beings kept us from setting off everything -- That's Grace all right. But the climate-monster? -- We've already started that moving. How fast? -- So far we've come closer to worst-case predictions than anything else. We-all might just need to mend our ways, & quickly.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service