I ask the question above, because for some reason many Friends say they don’t feel safe if I use “God” language in their presence. No matter how gentle I am in explaining that I am merely using language that best describes my understanding of the Divine Mystery, others wish to silence me because they are uncomfortable.

But isn’t this the same as claiming that gay marriage threatens marriage between a man and a woman? Isn’t that what these “defense of marriage” bills are claiming? What does one have to do with the other?

Views: 1157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, Paula!

My earlier message has seemingly come to fruition: "It sounds like you need to find another meeting, where folks can be counted on to feel safe around you and you can feel safe around them!"

Establishing a new meeting might prove to be a blessing not only for you, but also (by way of witness) for the meeting you were formerly a part of. 

Let me be clear on this, Friends: I have not established a new meeting. My fFriend is not establishing a new meeting. God has created an opportunity for us. We are practicing radical obedience and spiritual hospitality. God is good, all the time. Blessings on all of you, dear Friends!

I have been wrestling with the same thing! It got to the point that I started looking for more supportive fellowship elsewhere (I started worshiping with a local Dunkard Brethren Church), but an interesting thing happened on the way to the forum!  The rebelliousness that made me seek another community for this need also stirred my courage to speak it in our Ministry and Counsel meeting.  Speaking it there had a number of wonderful consequences including;

1. Finding out I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

2. Being encouraged to speak my message regardless. 

3. Addressing a lack of community cohesion we were suffering in our Meeting and suggestions on how to mitigate it.

So do not be too worried about offense. We need the medicine of discomfort and chafing sometimes.

Paula

Paula Roberts,

Your experience describes a spiritual community that is a blessing to those within it. Groups of people will always have problems from time to time. Is the meeting willing to face them in Truth and Light? Sounds like yours is. Who could ask for anything more.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service