wouldst, thou, thee, etc......

Is there some reason why Quakers talk like this here?  I don't know any Quakers in real life that speak like this, and I'm wondering if it has to do with location?

I realize its 'proper' english, very Shakespearian..lol.  But for those who do speak, do you speak like this at work, or just amongst friends?

Views: 153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes it comes out in the "real" world, including my non-Quaker family, but usually it is confined to Friends.

Nevertheless, the softer my heart is, the more the "thee" comes out. My heart is very soft these days.

I find I use it with people I feel close to.  I routinely use thee with my friend Melanie. She takes it in stride.  It is not something I use routinely in the world, but it does come out and when it does I don't fight it.

lol....I loved your post friend paul. 

Within' thee soft heart, I thank you all for educating me.

When I first joined meeting over 20 years ago, Lily who was 93 at the time still spoke "plain" amongst Friends.

Most of the traditional use has died out, but some people still keep to it. My beloved and I occasionally use it for very formal and tender conversations.

In terms of modern plain, the shift in language has moved to a democratic use of the plural (e.g. you instead of thee), and the challenging area I find is the use of titles or not. I've had some impressive debates with government organisations who insist on a title, and have been known to use Mr, even though I am female to protest at the idea that a title is still essential

Helen

I really appreciate the tenderness that moves Friends to use "plain speech." I had not considered it in that way. It reflects a true generosity of spirit. I have two concerns, though: one substantive, one historical/aesthetic. 

If our speech is not consistent we may on some level inadvertently establish hierarchies of truth or lovingkindness. In this we risk creating unnecessary divisions both within the RSoF and with the wider community. This contradicts the original radical inclusivity of "plain speech."  Contemporary English has abolished grammatical social distinctions although linguistic equivalents to "hat honor", as Helen Gibbs points out.

It is perhaps to my discredit that I am deeply invested in the English language and literature. It pains me to hear grammatically faulty archaic forms from Friends with perfect grasp of the contemporary forms. Pen Wilcock offers the suggestion that "plain speech" derives from but is not identical to the language of early Friends.  This explanation makes sense, but I am still left feeling excluded by language that is clearly intended to create a sense of warmth and welcome.

Friend Chris speaks my mind.

There is nothing plain about either "plain speech" or "plain dress". it's actually some kind of vanity or attempt to exclude and as such should be avoided by Quakers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service