Prayer is central to our faith.  It is deliberate communication with our Heavenly Father.  It is an act of worship.  It is a spiritual discipline.  It allows us to adore, petition, praise, and confess. 

Scripture shares Jesus making time and space to pray.  In light of his example:

Do you have a favorite place to pray?

Where is it?

What makes it special?

What draws you there to connect with God?

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite place to pray (privately) is on my knees, at my bedside, when I first get up and when I am ready to go to bed.   I feel that kneeling "makes a statement" to God about my attitude.  I think praying upon awakening and before retiring "frames" each day of my life as befits a Christian believer.

I don't have a favorite place (though I suppose my most attentive prayers are in my home environment which feels -- as a result? -- a little like a sanctuary from the world to me, even though it's a very messy sanctuary).  

I share William's experience with kneeling. 

What about your favorite place?

I don't really have a favorite place. I'd have favorite times - early morning and again in the evening. Like William, I feel it frames my day.

Whenever I'm in nature, I feel drawn to spontaneous prayer.

Some time back I purchased *Kneeling with Giants: Learning to Pray with History's Best Teachers* by Gary Neal Hanson.  I haven't gotten to read it yet, but it gets very good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/dp/0830835628/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Amen brother!  May all our days be framed with prayer to God.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the book recommendation.

William F Rushby said:

My favorite place to pray (privately) is on my knees, at my bedside, when I first get up and when I am ready to go to bed.   I feel that kneeling "makes a statement" to God about my attitude.  I think praying upon awakening and before retiring "frames" each day of my life as befits a Christian believer.

Great comment.  Thanks for sharing how and where you connect to God.  A sanctuary is a sacred place, no matter how messy it may be.

I enjoy praying in my (often messy) pastor's study at home.  It serves as a retreat from the world where I can find silence, solitude, and the Spirit of the Living God.    I have a comfy chair and plenty of windows in the study.  They often help me prepare my quiet time.  I find great peace hearing a song bird or just listening to the wind when the windows are open.  It is terrific place to meditate on Scripture and wait on the Lord.  

My pastor's study turns into a sanctuary every day.  It isn't fancy, but it becomes a holy place where God and I find each other.

Olivia said:

I don't have a favorite place (though I suppose my most attentive prayers are in my home environment which feels -- as a result? -- a little like a sanctuary from the world to me, even though it's a very messy sanctuary).  

I share William's experience with kneeling. 

What about your favorite place?

In the car, with the engine off.

I didn't start driving until I was 40.  Prayer centers my mind.  I don't want to forget to look into my blind spots before changing lanes, a serious change from bicycling.

I believe that people (or their spirit guides) can look over the hill, can anticipate trouble coming and can get out of the way in one way or another.

I've had no accidents in 20 years, although there was one amazing near-miss.

Yes, prayer is typically about us, our world and our people, not just about me lucking out. 

I found it the other day, actually. I woke up at around 5am and went to sit outside in the garden with the dog and my morning coffee. As I sat there in silence on the patio, with only the sound of seagulls in the distance, I realised I could feel God all around me. It was the most spectacular feeling. I think it felt particularly special because it was so early in the morning and I felt like I'd been given that quiet time as a gift from the Lord, plus it's very rare that we get such a perfect day in Iceland: bright, mild, dry and no wind whatsoever. A truly wonderful experience. Thanks for the question, John :-)

Thanks for the response.  It immediately made me think of 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.  "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

Sounds like you are a real prayer warrior!  Keep up the great work.

Anne Lee said:

My favorite place to pray is in my bedroom in the dark with my fake candles glowing on my dresser. But I also do it anywhere at any time for whatever reason, I just feel like talking or thanking. 

Like many others I have favourite times, especially in the morning. However, also being influenced by Celtic Christianity when I am outside in the open, there are sacred places where I feel the presence of our creator, I am automatically drawn to thankful prayer.

There are parts of the South Hebron Hills in Southern Palestine, where I love to pray, sometimes spontaneously but in December 2013, I purposely went out to the edge of the village where I was working, and spent quiet time in prayer. As a shepherd walked by with his flock, those few seconds I felt suddenly very alive and spiritually refreshed. My Muslim partners (and a couple of Jewish partners) have told me the warm winds that blow here are called locally the "breathe of God".  It has become a sacred area scared by unnecessary violence.

In the evenings, on my sofa is another favourite area and time.

For me, it is about making time, feeling comfortable and preparing my heart and mind for prayer, and being open to how the spirit of Christ can help me.

Blessings

Christopher

My favourite place to pray is within the privacy of my bedroom. I can shut out noise and be alone. However, I enjoy praying whilst I walk along the wooded pathways with hat in hand. There is another outside refuge I will pray at also. Silence, comfort, relaxation, and undisturbed thinking are important to me for focusing on prayer.

Blessing to thee,

Timothy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service