The title is a bit tongue in cheek in homage to Friends who wince at "hyphenated Quakers". Pardon my humor.
I've been thinking alot about my Plain direction. In some ways it is not very plain. I'm a tropical bird by birth so I wear patterns rather than solid colors. It doesn't really bother me that I'm not a blue/gray/black/brown Plain Friend, but I have noticed the difference. More interesting though was my realization that the way I've been dressing; long skirts (ankle), modest tops, hair ties, scarves, caps, and snoods, no make up, would go without much notice in the Caribbean because people would assume I was Rasta, especially since I have dreadlocks down almost to the small of my back. In alot of ways I am Rasta;
- Dreadlocks - check
- No make up - check
- Eschewing the trappings of Babylon (simplicity, resisting consumerism, etc) -check
- Ital food (organic, wholesome, unprocessed, real food -although I am not a vegetarian) - check
- I don't smoke weed, but I do attend an unprogrammed meeting and both practices are used by their practitioners to open their minds so that they can find/see the "truth".
- I do not believe Rastafarianism has the equivalent of a Peace testimony.
- I do not believe in the deity of Haile Sellasie.
Similarities and differences aside; isn't it fascinating that so many of us are making that same journey?