Hey guys! Recently tried my hand at the Jewel Apron from King's Daughters, here's the results. Used an extremely cheap cotton ($2/m), but I think it turned out well. Pattern is very easy to work with and quick to put together. Also, I managed to get a dress form on sale! Yay!

Views: 584

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice Zaley! I tried this same apron last year and it turned out so poufy I had to take it apart and remove about a third of the skirt material so I didn't look like a butterball - and I am not heavy. Maybe your "very cheap cotton" that made it lie flatter. I thought of making it again and pleating the skirt instead of gathering for less volume. I want a neater look like you achieved. Nice job.

Barb

I love it! You always find great patterns and do a lovely job sewing!

 

Hey Barbara! It's possible that you need to use thinner material to avoid the pouffing. I've had that same problem with a few items now, particularly jumpers. This material is loosely woven and you can see straight through it when held up to the light, but it is fine when wearing.

Barbara Smith said:

Very nice Zaley! I tried this same apron last year and it turned out so poufy I had to take it apart and remove about a third of the skirt material so I didn't look like a butterball - and I am not heavy. Maybe your "very cheap cotton" that made it lie flatter. I thought of making it again and pleating the skirt instead of gathering for less volume. I want a neater look like you achieved. Nice job.

Barb

How well does it do to keep spills off, in that case? Do they soak through quickly?

Zaley Warkentin said:

Hey Barbara! It's possible that you need to use thinner material to avoid the pouffing. I've had that same problem with a few items now, particularly jumpers. This material is loosely woven and you can see straight through it when held up to the light, but it is fine when wearing.

Barbara Smith said:

Very nice Zaley! I tried this same apron last year and it turned out so poufy I had to take it apart and remove about a third of the skirt material so I didn't look like a butterball - and I am not heavy. Maybe your "very cheap cotton" that made it lie flatter. I thought of making it again and pleating the skirt instead of gathering for less volume. I want a neater look like you achieved. Nice job.

Barb

Surprisingly it does fairly well. I haven't spilled a large amount of liquid on it though. I think if you were sitting and spilled an entire glass of something on yourself, it would probably go through, however its fine for smaller amounts. When you are standing, there is enough material in the skirt part that it creates a bit of space between your dress and the apron. I've used it for painting with no problem, but I'm not sure I would trust it around oils and greases, or anything notoriously "stainy".

Mackenzie said:

How well does it do to keep spills off, in that case? Do they soak through quickly?

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.


You can also make a one-time donation.

Latest Activity

Keith Saylor commented on William F Rushby's blog post 'From John Woolman on Ministry'
"#AuxiliaryConsiderations #WoolmanProject #Conscience James Naylor, on page one of his Discovery of…"
22 hours ago
Annett Pettet commented on Glenn Morison's blog post 'One good turn deserves another'
"Playing PC games for a considerable length of time and evenings may be obliterating for kids'…"
yesterday
William F Rushby commented on William F Rushby's blog post 'From John Woolman on Ministry'
"In my younger years, I tried to get Quaker sociologists to turn the spotlight on their own faith…"
yesterday
William F Rushby commented on William F Rushby's blog post 'From John Woolman on Ministry'
"It seems clear to me that John Woolman was guided by intuitive leadings rather than (or more than)…"
yesterday
Keith Saylor commented on William F Rushby's blog post 'From John Woolman on Ministry'
"Reference Key: TJAEOJSOAC Summary, Observations, and Considerations John Woolman's Journal…"
yesterday
Kirby Urner replied to Kirby Urner's discussion 'Connecting Quakers and Sufis (ongoing project)'
"Indeed I agree and Jorjani goes into that in his Perisian Renaissance interviews, contrasting the…"
6th day (Fri)
Kirby Urner replied to Kirby Urner's discussion 'Connecting Quakers and Sufis (ongoing project)'
"Hi Marcia.  Yes, the Sufi Gulenists as one might call them (are Quakers Foxists?) have or have…"
6th day (Fri)
Forrest Curo replied to Kirby Urner's discussion 'Connecting Quakers and Sufis (ongoing project)'
"Religions seem to intrinsically develop a mystical wing and a doctrinal one. Mystics from different…"
5th day (Thu)

© 2020   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service