Hey guys! Recently tried my hand at the Jewel Apron from King's Daughters, here's the results. Used an extremely cheap cotton ($2/m), but I think it turned out well. Pattern is very easy to work with and quick to put together. Also, I managed to get a dress form on sale! Yay!

Views: 609

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice Zaley! I tried this same apron last year and it turned out so poufy I had to take it apart and remove about a third of the skirt material so I didn't look like a butterball - and I am not heavy. Maybe your "very cheap cotton" that made it lie flatter. I thought of making it again and pleating the skirt instead of gathering for less volume. I want a neater look like you achieved. Nice job.

Barb

I love it! You always find great patterns and do a lovely job sewing!

 

Hey Barbara! It's possible that you need to use thinner material to avoid the pouffing. I've had that same problem with a few items now, particularly jumpers. This material is loosely woven and you can see straight through it when held up to the light, but it is fine when wearing.

Barbara Smith said:

Very nice Zaley! I tried this same apron last year and it turned out so poufy I had to take it apart and remove about a third of the skirt material so I didn't look like a butterball - and I am not heavy. Maybe your "very cheap cotton" that made it lie flatter. I thought of making it again and pleating the skirt instead of gathering for less volume. I want a neater look like you achieved. Nice job.

Barb

How well does it do to keep spills off, in that case? Do they soak through quickly?

Zaley Warkentin said:

Hey Barbara! It's possible that you need to use thinner material to avoid the pouffing. I've had that same problem with a few items now, particularly jumpers. This material is loosely woven and you can see straight through it when held up to the light, but it is fine when wearing.

Barbara Smith said:

Very nice Zaley! I tried this same apron last year and it turned out so poufy I had to take it apart and remove about a third of the skirt material so I didn't look like a butterball - and I am not heavy. Maybe your "very cheap cotton" that made it lie flatter. I thought of making it again and pleating the skirt instead of gathering for less volume. I want a neater look like you achieved. Nice job.

Barb

Surprisingly it does fairly well. I haven't spilled a large amount of liquid on it though. I think if you were sitting and spilled an entire glass of something on yourself, it would probably go through, however its fine for smaller amounts. When you are standing, there is enough material in the skirt part that it creates a bit of space between your dress and the apron. I've used it for painting with no problem, but I'm not sure I would trust it around oils and greases, or anything notoriously "stainy".

Mackenzie said:

How well does it do to keep spills off, in that case? Do they soak through quickly?

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.


You can also make a one-time donation.

Latest Activity

Scott MacLeod updated their profile
4th month 28
William F Rushby posted a blog post

\John Woolman's Journal; Among the Indians

A Word from John WoolmanMoved by Love 12th day, 6th month, and first of the week. It being a rainy…See More
4th month 28
Jay Thatcher commented on Jay Thatcher's blog post 'Psalm 23'
"The text is from the New Jerusalem Bible.  To copy and paste I usually go to…"
4th month 25
Sergio Mouser updated their profile
4th month 24
Sergio Mouser liked Howard Brod's discussion Why do Liberal Friends not Record Ministers or Spiritual Gifts?
4th month 24
William F Rushby commented on Jay Thatcher's blog post 'Psalm 23'
"Thanks for this imaginative paraphrase!   And for the photos of Border Collies, of which…"
4th month 24
Jay Thatcher posted a blog post

Psalm 23

Yahweh is my shepherd, I lack nothing.In grassy meadows he lets me lie. By tranquil streams he…See More
4th month 22
David Keel commented on Rob Fensom's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_1543

"Thats a nice photo.  Road trips are so enjoyable. "
4th month 22

© 2021   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service