I joined this group because I'm looking for some depth, Quaker perspective, and companionship in Bible reading. I'm sorry to have missed most of the Synoptic Gospels and all of the Five Books of Moses, and I'm wondering about the group.

Are you all able to keep up with the reading?

Are you able to make time and space to read deeply and reflectively, asking for divine guidance as to what the passages say to you today? (and if so, what is your secret for creating a spacious life?)

Views: 143

Replies to This Discussion

Rachel,

I've kept up with the readings, but was having some trouble with the "spaciousness' aspect. So I've dropped the OT readings except for the Psalms & Proverbs. This has helped somewhat. When I'm at home (not travelling for work) my wife and I read out loud in the mornings, and this helps as we sometimes can reflect together. I am trying to remember to take time to pause before and between readings to "enter the spirt that gave [the scriptures] forth."

I've looked at several lectio divina instructions but somehow they have not caught my interest. Maybe using the Friendly Bible Study Questions would help. Honestly, though, I usually feel somewhat pressed for time. I need to work on that I suppose, maybe get up earlier!

David
David,

Thomas Kelley said that everyone has time for spacious retirement, except those who are caring for the sick, and parents of young children. I see you are in the second group, and hope that you are enjoying the gifts of each moment.

Rachel
Hi Rachel, My life's been a bit crazy busy lately--but then when hasn't it been, right? I'm currently lagging a few days behind. Every so often I catch up, then fall back again. I think it would have more use if I could actually do the little bit every day. I've noticed my reading habits are often influenced by other parts of my life. When I had a train commute every day I had lots of time to read. Now that I work from home there's usually other things to attend to.
Actually Rachel I'm on grandpa duty. :)

David
Rachel, lately my pattern of Bible reading follows Martin's. It helps me to know that there are others out there reading the Bible too. So I am glad to have you with us, late or not. It gives us a way to connect in Spirit to encourage us on the path.
Elizabeth
PS Rachel, I love your hat and smile.

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service