Dear QQ Friends:

I once attended a church, as a newcomer to the community, where there was a ritual of greeting those seated near one with a smile and a handshake.  At the end of the service, NO ONE spoke to me, and I passed out the door unnoticed (as far as I could tell).  I never went back to that church!

Later, I attended a church from a related denomination out in the country.  I felt rather conspicuous as an outsider (members wore a garb), and left promptly after the meeting ended.  As I headed toward my car, a member of the church came bursting out of the men's door, and chased me down!  He asked, "why leave in such a hurry?"  Guess what?!  I became a regular attender at that church.

I have been trying to function in a meaningful way as a greeter for QQ.  I have some reservations about this.  I don't want to put newcomers on the spot. I don't want to "steal the spotlight."  I am in my 70s'. living alone since my wife died, and trying to keep up with the farm and some scholarly pursuits.

This is to encourage others to step up to the plate, welcoming newcomers and encouraging them to share as they feel comfortable to do so.  Please help!!

Views: 495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Healing all the time. If not, I would not have ventured here, but stayed in hiatus even longer. This comes to mind:

"The mill will never grind with the water that has passed."

I do "like" this discussion, but hitting the "like" button was a mistake!!!

Hi William,

Hey I once liked my own discussion and was embarrassed to see my face there on the sidebar  liking my own discussion.! Later on I figured out that I could go back and remove the like if I felt silly.  Anyway.  .   . So easy to misunderstand and be misunderstood online.   .   .

Laura Scattergood said:

Hi William,

Hey I once liked my own discussion and was embarrassed to see my face there on the sidebar  liking my own discussion.! Later on I figured out that I could go back and remove the like if I felt silly.  Anyway.  .   . So easy to misunderstand and be misunderstood online.   .   .

It worked!!  Now everyone will know that I liked my discussion, but did NOT like indicating that I did!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service