I did not grow up in the RSoF, but since I was a boy I had a dread of being asked  to take an oath, salute the flag or recite the Pledge. I was asked to leave an Aikido class in college because I could not bow before a picture of the founder of the art. I had only a tangential relationship to organized religion and no connection to those denominations which traditionally rejected these observances, but I read the Bible and it struck home on these matters. In time I came to be unable to sing the National Anthem due to (what I see as) it's glorification of war. How have Friends addressed these issues in the past? How does the Light speak to Friends today on these things? Apologies to Betsy Ross...

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you've given God what belongs to God, there shouldn't be much left over...

I spieled about this topic recently in my on-line Quaker journal:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2017/09/flag-waving.html

Kirby

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

You can also make a one-time donation.

Latest Activity

Forrest Curo commented on James C Schultz's blog post 'A World without Sin, a/k/a A World without personal responsibility'
""Sin" seems to be a pejorative word. Aside from people who don't think it means…"
yesterday
David McKay commented on James C Schultz's blog post 'A World without Sin, a/k/a A World without personal responsibility'
"I've been bantering with you folks for long enough that I take for granted we all know that we…"
yesterday
James C Schultz commented on James C Schultz's blog post 'A World without Sin, a/k/a A World without personal responsibility'
"I prefer to follow the scripture that tells us "Judge not, lest ye be judged".  The…"
yesterday
Forrest Curo commented on James C Schultz's blog post 'A World without Sin, a/k/a A World without personal responsibility'
"If your way of looking at it leads you into condemning your brothers and sisters, find yourself a…"
yesterday
James C Schultz commented on James C Schultz's blog post 'A World without Sin, a/k/a A World without personal responsibility'
"The way I look at it we have the ability to make choices.  To keep to David's prison cell…"
yesterday
"Theologians determined to find us all Guilty, Guilty, Guilty.  What I find in the Bible looks…"
yesterday
David McKay commented on James C Schultz's blog post 'A World without Sin, a/k/a A World without personal responsibility'
"I'm skeptical of appeals to free will. I'm equally skeptical about claims based upon…"
2nd day (Mon)
"Put a dent in mine; I think He's got our backs."
2nd day (Mon)

© 2017   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service