Does anybody else have a leading to share all things in common?

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has thee heard of Bethlehem Cloister?

Hello, Ken,

I have engaged in many conversations with people about variations of communal living. If my life circumstances were different, I would consider living near others who shared certain items. I do need my privacy, however, so this leading could not follow the path to its extreme conclusion. (I do not choose to do something that would make my husband unhappy, either!)

In Cincinnati, there is an organization called Imago, which builds community around the premise that the earth is sacred. Over the past 20 years, a small group of people has developed into a large group of people, and the street on which the founders live has developed into some sort of gathering place, as others in the group have moved there.

In our own meeting, several of us talked about "wouldn't it be great if..." regarding this sort of living in proximity. We talked about which of our neighborhoods might be the best place for the rest of us to converge. It was light-hearted, but there was that sense that "we are to live in a blessed community" behind the conversation.

I know of at least one family that moved to Barnesville specifically to be close to the monthly meeting there. Having visited Barnesville, I am not one bit surprised by such a leading.

I hope this helps! Yours in the Light, Paula

Thank you for the information, Isabel.

Hello Paula,

We have a little intentional community started here in Castelo de Vide; we all live our own lives in our own homes, but gather frequently for camaraderie and to make plans; we're starting at least one, but probably two or three collective gardens; everyone who can will work them and take what they need from them; we look after one another's needs, whether firewood, food, rides, housing, even money; but to say we hold all things in common would be an exageration. Two months ago most of us barely knew one another, and now we're committed to mutual aid based on 'love your neighbor' (though I am the only Christian in the bunch). This is working, and I think will continue to work for several reasons: first, there are a lot of seekers and self-marginalized people in this area; many in the group are Dutch or Belgian , the Portuguese in the group are all outsiders in some way, so most of these people lack the family and friend network found throughout most of society. Another important factor is that we all live our own lives, in our own homes (for the most part) , and the communal aspect is temporary. We all have our space. As I've got roots here now, moving to Barnesville or a place like the ones mentioned by Isabel are out of the question, but I was just wondering if anyone had gone farther than we have in a loose community such as we have. Thanks as always for your response.

Ken  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Daniel Hughes updated their profile
4 hours ago
Martin Kelley updated their profile
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley posted a blog post

QuakerQuaker migration starting soon, can you help?

Hi QuakerQuaker fans,It's time to start the migration of QuakerQuaker to a new online platform. It…See More
19 hours ago
Martin Kelley commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Christopher, thanks for your ongoing support all this time; I understand needing to slow down…"
2nd day (Mon)
Christopher Hatton posted events
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton commented on QuakerQuaker's blog post 'QuakerQuaker Resolution for 2023—Can You Help?'
"Hi Martin,   I hope other users have been making occasional/regular donations.  I am…"
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton liked David Anthony's profile
1st day (Sun)
Christopher Hatton updated their profile
1st day (Sun)

© 2023   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service