Hello! I'm looking for a simple clear grounded description of what it means to 'hold the space'. It's for a group I facilitate who are trying to grasp the concept and have asked for such a description! It's a hard thing to put in words... Thanks so much!

Views: 493

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's not something I've heard of, Renee.   Is it specifically a Quaker thing?

Renee, I found its use and meaning, regarding a practice of Quaker Elders, on Liz Opp's site TheGoodRaisedUp.blogspot.com. I, for one, would like to see our Meetings being grounded in human/familial  support rather than angelic spiritualism, known as quietism.

Clem, I couldn't find it on the blog you mentioned, so could you say briefly what "holding the space" means?  

Clem Gerdelmann said:

Renee, I found its use and meaning, regarding a practice of Quaker Elders, on Liz Opp's site TheGoodRaisedUp.blogspot.com. I, for one, would like to see our Meetings being grounded in human/familial  support rather than angelic spiritualism, known as quietism.

I just noticed Renee's post as a "status" ( sorry, not sure what that is ):

""Elders may be "holding the space" during worship, helping ground the meeting as Friends enter the meeting room and settle into worship.""

So how do they actually do that?  I assume by arriving a bit early and settling themselves?

Quakers can experience a connection(being gathered) to God and to each other in various settings/Meetings by the centering/focusing/surrendering of a few Friends/Elders for the sake and benefit of the group. Arriving early, or at least "on time", and settling is the responsibility of every Quaker worshiper.
 
Spiny Norman said:

I just noticed Renee's post as a "status" ( sorry, not sure what that is ):

""Elders may be "holding the space" during worship, helping ground the meeting as Friends enter the meeting room and settle into worship.""

So how do they actually do that?  I assume by arriving a bit early and settling themselves?

yes and also by holding the intention the hold the group in the Light.

Spiny Norman said:

I just noticed Renee's post as a "status" ( sorry, not sure what that is ):

""Elders may be "holding the space" during worship, helping ground the meeting as Friends enter the meeting room and settle into worship.""

So how do they actually do that?  I assume by arriving a bit early and settling themselves?

Hello William, Thank you very much!  They aren't specifically Quaker but are certainly interesting...Every article seems to define it so differently!

William F Rushby said:

Obviously,  Clem, but we were talking specifically about Renee's earlier comment: 

""Elders may be "holding the space" during worship, helping ground the meeting as Friends enter the meeting room and settle into worship."" 

Clem Gerdelmann said:

 Arriving early, or at least "on time", and settling is the responsibility of every Quaker worshiper.
 

Again, sorry for all the questions, but could you briefly explain what "hold the group in the Light" means?

Renee Ellerton said:

yes and also by holding the intention the hold the group in the Light.


Obviously, Spiny, you have not read my blog entitled, Pedantry; nor the offering that equates the connection to God's powerful love with an electric current that needs to travel across space(s), whether wired or synapsed, if it is not to get short-circuited or damaged. As such, "holding the space" allows the connection to be maintained for as long as it is needed by the group.
 
Spiny Norman said:

Again, sorry for all the questions, but could you briefly explain what "hold the group in the Light" means?

Renee Ellerton said:

yes and also by holding the intention the hold the group in the Light.


It means holding the group in God's love or silently praying for the group. 

Spiny Norman said:

Again, sorry for all the questions, but could you briefly explain what "hold the group in the Light" means?

Renee Ellerton said:

yes and also by holding the intention the hold the group in the Light.


Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? Our costs run to about $50/month. If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

Latest Activity

Russ Elliott posted blog posts
1st day (Sun)
Russ Elliott updated their profile
1st day (Sun)
Robert Cowper liked Kirby Urner's video
7th day (Sat)
José Miguel updated their profile
7th day (Sat)
Robert Cowper replied to William F Rushby's discussion 'Rut, Rot or Revival: The Condition of the Church. by A.W. Tozer'
"Some evangelicals are open to things. It is schisms as is case for any religions…"
7th day (Sat)
huw meredydd owen posted a photo
6th day (Fri)
huw meredydd owen updated their profile
6th day (Fri)
Robert Cowper commented on Keith Saylor's blog post 'In the spirit of Christ, being drawn out of the reflective nature to guide human relation'
"Everything is christ consciousness. Dinosaurs are were. They gave us energy knowing we were coming…"
5th day (Thu)

© 2022   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service