As I've been discussing with some Jewish friends on Facebook, I find this whole debate about whether "Anti-Semite" also means "Anti-Zionist" or whatever (both directions), too confusing. 

Because whereas I know what "Jewish" means (it's a world religion, one of several), the "Semite" meme traces to myths and various dubious shades of meaning involving genetic strains.

"Semite" has a holdover eugenics flavor, not unlike "Aryan". 

I consider myself pro Jewish and celebrate Planet Zion (so a zionist?), our Promised Land (the only one we're given, to treasure or to trash).

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the context of the word "antisemite," yes, it definitely is a synonym for Jewish. My understanding is that the word "antisemitic" was coined by the Nazis to describe themselves.

Thanks for jumping in Mackenzie. I can see where the word "anti-semite" would appeal to Nazis, as they were all about racial theories ("Aryans") and "semite" as a concept seems mixed up with genetics.

I prefer to focus on languages versus dna. Some languages are semitic and some people speak and/or study semitic languages.

If there were no possibility of a Jew not also being semitic, and vice versa, that would argue for these being synonyms.  Dictionary definitions and common usage (which a dictionary is supposed to reflect) enter into these debates about semantics.

Within the Jewish community, a lot of intelligent debate goes on around the terms "semite" and "anti-semite".
https://www.tikkun.org/who-gets-to-define-anti-semitism

"We’d replace such terms with simple concepts that express clear and distinct meanings: Concepts such as anti-Jewish, anti-Arab, and anti-Islam come to mind. Of course, we have no illusions: Our wish will not be granted. "

I'm glad these debates are going on and I am choosing to participate.

Mackenzie said:

In the context of the word "antisemite," yes, it definitely is a synonym for Jewish. My understanding is that the word "antisemitic" was coined by the Nazis to describe themselves.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Support Us

Did you know that QuakerQuaker is 100% reader supported? If you think this kind of outreach and conversation is important, please support it with a monthly subscription or one-time gift.

You can also make a one-time donation.

Latest Activity

William F Rushby replied to Howard Brod's discussion 'Why do Liberal Friends not Record Ministers or Spiritual Gifts?' in the group Liberal Quakers
1 hour ago
William F Rushby left a comment for David Keel
"David Keel asked: "Is that a photo of you in the car ?"  The answer is yes.  My…"
1 hour ago
David Keel replied to William F Rushby's discussion 'Faith: The Great Big Puzzle'
"I think a big part of that missing puzzle of a Liberal Quaker is not having the light of Christ as…"
7 hours ago
David Keel left a comment for William F Rushby
"Hi William,  I became interested in George Fox as a younger Christian, and William Penn…"
7 hours ago
William F Rushby left a comment for David Keel
"David: Would you mind telling us about yourself and why you are interested in "the early forms…"
9 hours ago
David Keel replied to William F Rushby's discussion 'Faith: The Great Big Puzzle'
"Thank you William. I'm quite a novice on present day Quakerism. But was interested in what the…"
11 hours ago
William F Rushby replied to William F Rushby's discussion 'Faith: The Great Big Puzzle'
"See the next itme."
yesterday
William F Rushby replied to William F Rushby's discussion 'Faith: The Great Big Puzzle'
"Reply by Matthew Callow on 1st mo. 5, 2020 at 8:00am [on QQ] I am within the Liberal…"
yesterday

© 2020   Created by QuakerQuaker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service